For this assignment, students will identify a health issue that matters to them then find a related bill in the state or federal legislature and write an email message to be sent to their local senator or representative encouraging them to support their cause. The assignment should include the following components:
- Senator or Representative’s name: this can be an elected official at the federal or state levels
- Find my senator: http://www.senate.gov/senators/contact/ (Links to an external site.)
- Find my representative: http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/ (Links to an external site.)
- Find my Ohio legislator: https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/ (Links to an external site.)
- Name of a legislative bill that addresses the health issue
- Find a bill at the federal level: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/subjects/health/6130 (Links to an external site.)
- Find a bill at the state level: https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legislation/search-legislation?16 (Links to an external site.)
- Professionally written email message describing the health issue, information supporting your cause/side, and a formal ask for the senator or representative to either support or oppose a bill related to the issue. The email message should provide at least one resource on the subject (credible website; a link to the bill does NOT count as a resource on the topic) that the legislator can use to find more information about your cause. The assignment content should be written in the format of a professional email, including a greeting, the body of the message, and a closing. The body of the email should be about 2-3 paragraphs in length.
- For information on where the American Public Health Association stands on an issue, search their data base for a policy statement: http://www.apha.org/policies-and-advocacy/public-health-policy-statements/policy-database (Links to an external site.)
- For information regarding how to write a letter/email to a legislator, visit the following helpful guides:
- http://www.nea.org/home/19657.htm (Links to an external site.)
- http://www.academyhealth.org/Advocacy/content.cfm?ItemNumber=10087 (Links to an external site.)
- http://writingcenter.unc.edu/handouts/effective-e-mail-communication/ (Links to an external site.)
- Papers should be written in a Microsoft Word document using 12 pt font in Calibri or Times New Roman and 1” margins. Include your name and the date in the top left corner of the paper. Submit your assignment on Canvas using the attachment feature; do not copy & paste your assignment into the textbox.
Get assistance from our top rated tutors at Collegly.com ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐